Turkish court reinstates dismissed civil servant in precedent case

A Turkish court on Monday ruled to reinstate a civil servant who was sacked from their job with an emergency decree following the July 2016 coup attempt, Duvar news site reported.

The case constitutes a first for the tens and thousands of public employees, who were dismissed by statutory decree (KHK) during a two-year state of emergency after the failed putsch.

Güldalı Kocaoğlu, a staff member at Turkey’sSocial Security Institution (SGK), was accused of terror links in the aftermath of the coup attempt.

Her case lasted four and a half years and ended with an Ankara court ruling on Monday that the civil servant had been wrongfully dismissed and should be reinstated, Duvar said, citing Kocaoğlu’s lawyer.

"This is the first decision (by a court) of this sort,’’ lawyer Hüseyin Aygün said, noting that his client immediately returned back to work.

Five days after the coup attempt of July 15, 2016, Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) declared a state of emergency and began issuing decrees, which saw some 80,000 people placed behind bars and more than 150,000 sacked from their state jobs as part of a crackdown on alleged members of the Gülen movement, a now outlawed religious group accused of orchestrating the failed putsch.

Most dismissed civil servants are accused of links to leader of the Gülen Movement, Fethullah Gülen, but there were many others who belonged to other opposition groups.

Many of those dismissed from their jobs have not faced any charges, but the decree against them remains on their official records, leaving them ostracised and often unable to find work or receive public benefits.

This block is broken or missing. You may be missing content or you might need to enable the original module.